Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Italian Hoagies (in the crockpot)

I'm still on a crockpot kick, especially since the oven in my new house makes half the house way too hot for summer time. So I found this recipe on a blog but I have no idea which one (not one I have visited before) so I can't give anyone credit, sorry. But I thought it sounded like something Matt would like so I made it. It was very good and so easy. Probably too spicy for kids. My kids don't really like shredded roast yet so I didn't even try.

Italian Hogies:
2lb beef roast
1 envelope of dry italian dressing/ seasoning mix
1 jar of peppercino peppers - mild (you find them on the pickle isle)

Put the roast in the crockpot. Dump the entire jar of peppers and all the juice on top then sprinkle with seasoning. Turn it on low and let it go 8 hours. Then I shredded the whole thing with 2 forks. We put it on hoagie rolls topped it with swiss cheese and toasted it in the oven until the cheese melted. Then we dipped it in a little bowl of the juice that left in the crockpot. We ate on it until the rolls were gone and then Matt made quesadillas with some of the meat. That was good too. It is a little spicy but I can't handle much spice and I enjoyed it. Just a good easy meal. Would probably make 6 to 8 sandwiches depending on how much meat you put on each.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey...read a tip from someone on the 'year of crockpotting' and i tried it: put the crockpot on the back porch, and then you don't heat up the house at all! I made three things that way last week when it was in the high 90's. So far I've made the falafels, peppercorn steak, curry chicken, and tapioca pudding... loved them all! I'm trying the coq au vin next week (Derek's out of town, so I'm not bothering to cook much this week:) Love ya, Abby

Fall

Christmas

redhome