Saturday, December 13, 2008

Paint or not to paint.....

Looks like a dang Christmas card if you ask me. But that is not why I am posting this. We have now been in our house for almost 7 months and I have been prego almost the whole time which means I have done little to make this house mine. I re-did a bathroom and painted the downstairs bedroom and playroom and had carpet put in but have done almost nothing upstairs. I desperately need to paint the den and plan on doing that (I mean, have Matt do it) before the baby comes. I will probably do it a light khaki. This is a dark room with just 1 sliding glass door and no windows. At one end of the room is the fireplace and bookshelves. The big question is do I paint them a lighter color? Some kind of paint treatment, not just plain white. The floors are hardwood laminate and did I mention it is dark in here. So what do y'all think? And no I won't be doing it until after the baby is born.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, I don't think I would paint them! I think w/the new wall color you are doing they will look really good dark. I might start w/the wall color and see if that lightens up the room. Plus, the good thing about leaving them dark... no evidence of dirty little hands touching all over them! Just my opinion :).

Aimee said...

I think you can't go wrong. Dark wood is authentic, though sometimes dated. Darker khaki might look hip. Your room looks tremendous, Bethany! Way to go :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great to me! Maybe a few more lamps might do the trick. :) It does look like a Christmas card!

Abby

thecastonfamily said...

poimen

Greg and Allison then came Four said...

I wouldn't paint them either. The dark wood has a rich feel to it. Just my opinion.

BKicklighter said...

Well, I am going to go against the flow and say PAINT IT!!! There is this color, white chocolate, that would look kinda cool. . . or whatever. It sure is pretty wood but DARK. Yea, I vote to paint.

Anonymous said...

Looks real pretty to me. Yes maybe another lamp will help. Mom

Stewart Ramsay said...

You might consider a light colored area rug like seagrass or sisal. That will break up the sea of darkness.

Anonymous said...

That's a hard one for me as I am contemplating the same thing about my family room. I was actually thinking of posting the same question with a picture on my new facebook page. I would say look at it again after Matt paints the room. I do have a friend that painted her fireplace beige and adjoining bookshelves white and it did make the room much brigher.

Fall

Christmas

redhome